MARTIAL ARTS

{R}EVOLUTION

No styles, no systems, no rituals, no lineages, no masters, no labels, no belts, no katas, no uniforms, no dogmas;

Only the process of self actualization & personal expression of truth through functional combative movement and fitness.

On a purely physical level, we share how to individually and collectively use all of our natural tools as well as extended ones, offensively and defensively in a strategic and tactical manner and in all ranges of combat.

We're put through functional physical fitness training where we learn to push ourselves through our own perceived limitations. We also have much to offer on nutrition, health and optimum performance.

On a more cerebral level we learn about the psychology of violence, fear, stress & confrontation management skills, deescalation strategies and holistic survival tactics.

As the mind navigates the body; by challenging personal self defense dogmas and individual & core belief systems, personal growth and evolution occurs.

On a human level, we learn about the ripple effect and the moral, legal, and ethical consequences of our chosen actions while self examining our darkest emotions. We are encouraged to question everything, to learn to think for ourselves, to be more accountable and research everything we learn and to be open and responsive to life without judgment.

On a personal level, the training can make you face and slay your own demons.

Everything shared here is highly encouraged to be individually researched, to “absorb what is useful, add what is specifically of your own and disregard the rest.”

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Static vs. Live Energy


I recently asked a buddy of mine, who happened to be a L.O.C.K.U.P. instructor, to show me his method of in-holster weapon retention.  He happily agreed and placed a 'blue gun'  ( a solid plastic, training faux gun, with the same sized, shape and weight of specific firearms ) in his duty holster.  I got a firm, one handed grasp on the 'weapon' and stated I was ready.  He wrapped his hand over mine ( securing the 'gun' in the holster ), stepped back and hammered my extended forearm with his free arm.  After 3 or 4 hard ( ouch! ) strikes on my arm he peeled my hand off the gun.  Interesting........



I asked if we can do that again but this time with live energy ( read: active resistance ).  He agreed and we gave it a second go.  This time as he began his technique I slammed my shoulder into his chest ( yes, he really is that much taller than my towering 5' 8" frame ) and drove him back into a wall.  While screaming a string of profanities I delivered strikes to his chest, ribs and head.  His retention method fell apart and I had his 'gun' removed from the holster in short order.  Another example of anything working static, with a compliant 'opponent'.  

As you can imagine, my friend now wanted to see Senshido's method of weapon retention.  The 'blue gun' went into my holster and he locked his huge paw on the grip.   When he slammed into me ( Really? Did you think he wouldn't after the way I dealt with him?  Really? ) I grabbed the back of his neck with my left hand, anchoring us together.  My right hand went to his face, palm mashing into his nose and fingers gently pushing on his closed eyes.  In an instant his hand left my 'gun' and both hands tried to get my right hand off his face.  It didn't matter since I was already stepping to his flank where I was able to reach his throat ( primary targets! It's all about the primary targets! ) with my left hand.  The REACT concept continued for another second or two before I was able to break contact by pushing us apart, my 'gun' safely in the holster. 



The REACT concept prevailed under live energy and active resistance, while others failed. Real energy and real resistance makes for real training, and real results you can count on.  Anything less is unacceptable when your safety is on the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment